Two-Minute Tutorial: Starting Your Search with Wikipedia and Reference Sources
- Biography In Context : Research people from throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas.
- Biography Reference Bank : Find biographical information on people from around the world, throughout the centuries.
Encyclopedias and Reference Sources
- Wikipedia : "The free encyclopedia that anyone can edit."
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias : Written by world-class experts to provide subject overviews that can be understood in half an hour of reading or less.
- Oxford Very Short Introductions : Offer concise introductions to a diverse range of subject areas.
- Salem Press : Search reference titles in Literature, History, Science, Health, and Careers.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library : Search hundreds of reference books individually or as a single source.
- OhioLINK Electronic Book Center : Find information on your subject in online reference books and scholarly publications.
- World Book Online : Articles from the World Book Encyclopedia, an atlas and a dictionary, articles from earlier encyclopedia editions, magazine articles from EBSCO, animations, videos, sound clips, and Web links.
- Transparent Language Online : A language learning resource, offering speaking, typing, listening, and vocabulary practice in 100+ languages, including for ESL students.
Multiple Perspectives on Current Issues
- Gale In Context| Opposing Viewpoints : One-stop research information for many source types on hot topics.
- Points of View Reference Center : Develop persuasive arguments; join the conversation on controversial issues as you become aware of multiple viewpoints.
- CQ Researcher Online : Find original, in-depth reports on topics in the headlines, including a background and chronology; an assessment of the current situation; tables and maps; pro/con statements from representatives of opposing positions; and bibliographies of key sources.
- Sources to find the bias/leaning/perspective of news sources:
- Think Tanks & Policy Institutes (lists various think tanks and organizes them by political persuasion)
- AllSides (includes examples of sites covering current issues all along the political scale)
- Detecting Bias (explains the political spectrum and the terms used to describe various groups, and then also offers a list of publications and their leanings).
- Additional current issues sources:
Science and Health
- Visible Body Human Anatomy Atlas : The premier 3D anatomical atlas used for research and training in medical, health, and related fields. It includes interactive and maneuverable 3D computer graphics views of over 6,000 human anatomy structures and systems with near cadaver-like accuracy.
- Science Reference Center : Find the full text of hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, and other sources.
- Consumer Health Complete : Written for patients or for those interested in health-related topics, from mainstream medicine to complementary, holistic and integrated medicine. See Health Source - Nursing/Academic Edition for more scholarly resources on nursing and allied health topics.
- Human Diseases and Conditions, 2017 : Presents information on numerous diseases and conditions. Articles include a definition of the disease or condition, an explanation of how it works in the body, information on causes, symptoms and diagnosis, treatment or cure, and lifestyles.
- Statista : an innovative and intuitive tool for researching quantitative data, statistics and related information.
- Census Reporter : Locate U.S. Census data more easily on various topics.
- Find Statistics Here : Find general data and statistical resources for several subject areas.