Learn why you should use reference sources
and which ones to use when starting your search
Encyclopedias and Reference Sources
- Reference Resources: Encyclopedias : A selection of Miami University Libraries' online encyclopedias covering many subject areas.
- Salem Press : Search reference titles in Literature, History, Science, Health, and Careers.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library : Search hundreds of reference books individually or as a single source.
- OhioLINK Electronic Book Center : Search the "Scholarly & Reference E-Book Collection" to find information on your subject in online reference books and scholarly publications.
- World Book Advanced : Articles from the World Book Encyclopedia, an atlas and a dictionary, articles from earlier encyclopedia editions, magazine articles from EBSCO, animations, videos, sound clips, and Web links.
Multiple Perspectives on Current Issues
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context : One-stop research information for many source types on hot topics.
- Points of View Reference Center : Develop persuasive arguments; join the conversation on controversial issues as you become aware of multiple viewpoints.
- CQ Researcher Online : Find original, in-depth reports on topics in the headlines, including a background and chronology; an assessment of the current situation; tables and maps; pro/con statements from representatives of opposing positions; and bibliographies of key sources.
- Sources to find the bias/leaning/perspective of news sources:
- Think Tanks & Policy Institutes (lists various think tanks and organizes them by political persuasion)
- AllSides (includes examples of sites covering current issues all along the political scale)
- Detecting Bias (explains the political spectrum and the terms used to describe various groups, and then also offers a list of publications and their leanings).
- Additional current issues sources:
- Biography In Context : Research people from throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas.
- Biography Reference Bank : Find biographical information on people from around the world, throughout the centuries.
- Mango Languages : Mango is an online language-learning system that can help you learn languages like Spanish, French, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Italian, Russian and more.
Science and Health
- Science Online : Explore science subjects, science in the news, diagrams, experiments, biographies, timelines, videos, and animations.
- Science Reference Center : Find the full text of hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, and other sources.
- Consumer Health Complete : Written for patients or for those interested in health-related topics, from mainstream medicine to complementary, holistic and integrated medicine. See Health Source - Nursing/Academic Edition for more scholarly resources on nursing and allied health topics.
- Human Diseases and Conditions, 2017 : Presents information on numerous diseases and conditions. Articles include a definition of the disease or condition, an explanation of how it works in the body, information on causes, symptoms and diagnosis, treatment or cure, and lifestyles.
- Statista : an innovative and intuitive tool for researching quantitative data, statistics and related information.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States : a comprehensive collection of statistics on the social, political, and economic conditions of the United States.
- Census Reporter : Locate U.S. Census data more easily on various topics.
- Find Statistics Here : Find general data and statistical resources for several subject areas.